Like the book is basically in latin. I have to read very slowly just to follow what she's saying and that fact is getting on my nerves. I'm lucky enough to actually know some of the references she makes so at least there's that.
In the book Hokenson basically puts on her analyzing glasses and analyzes/explains the different theories of comedy and the sociological worlds surrounding them throughout history.
That sounds very interesting, how can you POSSIBLY make it boring? By USING TOO MANY TEN SYLLABLE WORDS IN CONSTANT SUCCESSION. OK. I GET IT. YOU HAVE A LOT OF PEER REVIEWED PUBLISHED WORK. GOOD JOB SMARTY PANTS. (No but it's actually really hard to do that props gurl.)
I dunno I just don't think knowledge that can't be understood by even an undergrad is knowledge that shouldn't be published. We're expected to refer to books like this one in our super duper mega essays or whatever so please, stop with the latin. It's a DEAD language. Holy crap.
It's not that I don't understand the words. I just want to be able to like read and learn what's in it at a faster pace. But the way in which it is written literally prevents me from being able to just read a sentence and be like "yea I understood that".




Haha. So I realllly liked this post. You did a great job of engaging with the book and even engaging with the author. Keep it up!
ReplyDelete