Alright, so I couldn't stick around for the first half of Watch Kids Go ta School: The Movie... But I DID recently watch a documentary titled The Two Escobars. It's about Pablo Escobar, the drug guy who was really freakin good at being a drug guy; and Andres Escobar, a soccer guy, who was part of the Colombian National soccer team that went to the world cup. And the relationship between Pablo's drugs and Andres's lives. Cuz the drug money was being turned into soccer money and the players were hella good too. It was an ESPN documentary too so I was very impressed cuz I am not a sports man.
Anyways this was the review I read
http://www.avclub.com/review/the-two-escobars-46374
I was surprised when I was searching for and reading reviews for the documentary because they focused mainly on explaining what is happening and the climate of the documentary. Whenever I look at reviews for a fiction movie, sure they explain the plot but then they usually get super technical. Fictional movie reviews are like "Oh I didn't like how they did ______ because it took away from the believability" or whatever. These reviews were all commenting on the actual message of the documentary and evaluating how plausible the message was.
I'm tellin ya we're all still puritans. We're much less harsh on documentaries cuz they actually happened but if it's fictional things can still turn into a version of "CRAZY UNGODLY WITCHCRAFT".
So I guess the rules for a documentary review would be:
1. Have a thorough understanding of what is being documented so you can determine if the argument being made is valid regarding the situation
2. Determine if the argument is argued well. If the connections make sense. I'm Ira Glass STAY. WITH US.
3. And ya know what? Tie in the technicalities too. Was the documentary actually well made? Because that will definitely affect the other two points I made. Treat it as equally as fiction, because the making of it requires just as much artistry in my opinion.
*Unit 3*
No comments:
Post a Comment