Wednesday, January 27, 2016

1/28 Artists I listen to too frequently for my own good.

I am a pedestrian like you. Coincidentally, this means I listen to music. A lot of music. 547 different artists of music according to Spotify. So I figured I might as well point out some of my favorite artists who tend to consistently keep me entertained! It's time to wake up, America. 

Alice Russell!
THE CLASS!
I can't stop listening to the British soul singer's insane riffs. She's been dropping albums since 2004, her most recent one titled To Dust in 2013. She sounds like Adele's cooler older sister. If you want a lazy sunday, she's got you covered. If you want to dance in your undies, she's got you covered. Broke up with someone? She's got you covered.

Favorite song: "Somebody's Gonna Love You" 

(According to Spotify I listened to this song 17 times in 1 day. You've been warned.)


Basement Jaxx!
Who? Who?
Okay so Basement Jaxx is an electronic music duo, also from the UK. They've been around since freaking 1994 and their most recent album was titled Junto and dropped in 2014. Sometimes their songs will be randomly featured in tv shows and movies. If you like dancing you CANNOT ignore these guys. It's also perfect running music if you're on that treadmill grind.

Favorite Song: "Twerk"

(This song appeared on their 2009 album. Yeah. 2009.)

Electric Guest!
Will somebody please lend her a hand?
These guys are an indie pop group that showed up in Los Angeles in 2011. So yeah, they're pretty brand spanking new-ish. How do I describe their sound? Hmm... It's a perfect mixture of pure chill while also being bouncy enough to dance to. That sounds oxymoronic but that's just how good the music is.

Favorite Song: "Waves"

(It doesn't matter whether you're lounging on the couch or dancing in your undies, you could still be listening to the same song. I think that's pretty dope.)

Jamairoquai!

GROOVY!
Looking for some Jazz and Funk? These British guys pretty much mastered it. They've been providing the ultimate groovy grooves since 1992. Their most recent album is Rock Dust Light Star which was released in 2012. 

Apparently they have some more funk to churn out this spring, so keep an eye out if you want to harness the funk.

Favorite Song: "Time Won't Wait"

(THE FUNK IS TOO STRONG IN THIS SONG.)

Dirty Honkers!
AND THEN THERE'S THESE DORKS.
I don't know where to start with this but I'll try. Dirty Honkers is an Electro-Swing group from Berlin. Elecro-Swing is basically electronic music that is heavily influenced by old fashioned swing music. The strictest form of electro-swing music literally takes old songs from the 20's and um, electrifies them. It's not a remake of the song itself, it's a manipulation of the original.

Anyways, Dirty Honkers is special because they DON'T do this. They make original songs using a lot of saxophone sounds to give their music a "swing" feel to it. 

Their music is changing dramatically from when they released their first album in 2010. In 2010 it is safe to assume that they're strictly elecro-swing. They still sound very swingy nowadays but the electricity has been cranked up a thousand percent.

Old school favorite song: "S.O.S"

Recent favorite song: "We On Fire"

(If you look them up on Youtube, be careful. These guys are weirder than old school Lady Gaga. I'm serious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment